Join us for our Professional Development Luncheon, on Tuesday, January 24, featuring Kelley Shannon who will provide information on the latest open government efforts in Texas. The State has comparatively strong open record laws and employs quite a few officials who are committed to open government, but Shannon says she is troubled by recent Texas Supreme Court rulings that have weakened the state’s open records law. “We are working to fix and clarify some of these areas in the upcoming legislative session,” Shannon noted. “Aside from what we are seeing in our courts, there are a couple of other worrisome trends with governmental entities. Some government officials try to block information or stall its release with unnecessary requests for attorney general rulings to try to keep information secret.” Get More Info & RSVP Now
The San Antonio Professional Chapter of the Association for Women in Communications has honored outstanding Headliners – community leaders who have made exceptional contributions in professional, volunteer, and civic arenas – for 70 years.
The organization is seeking nominations of women and men who deserve recognition. The nomination deadline is Friday, March 24. Honorees must be able to attend the Annual Headliner Brunch scheduled for 10:30 a.m. – Noon on Saturday, June 3, 2017, at The Veranda located at 1746 Lockhill Selma Rd. San Antonio, TX. Entry forms and more information are available here.
The Ajay Castro Scholarship for Re-entering Women will be awarded for the 2017-2018 academic year. Previous scholarships have ranged from $500 – $2,000. The number of scholarships awarded varies each year.
Scholarship Candidates Must:
- Be a high school graduate or G.E.D. certified
- Be a female undergraduate student accepted at or enrolled in a Bexar County university, college or community college after a minimum three-year lapse from graduating high school or leaving the academic world
- Be planning a career in a communications-related field (print or broadcast journalism, advertising, public relations, visual arts, etc.)
- Accept the award at the 2017 AWC Headliner Awards Brunch on Saturday, June 3, 2017
Making productive contributions through talent, knowledge, skills, and good work habits,
Contributing individual capabilities to the achievement of group objectives and working effectively with others in a group setting,
Organizing people and resources toward the effective and efficient pursuit of predetermined objectives,
Being a catalyst to commitment and vigorous pursuit of a clear and compelling vision, stimulating higher performance standards,
- Building enduring greatness through paradoxical blend of personal humility and professional will.